Work with Me
The are several ways to work with me:
1. Private Clinical Sessions
Serving Yukon and Northern BC clients with in person, clinical sessions. A SomaYoga Therapist specializes in using a unique set of tools to help their clients regain balance in their body and and mind. The therapy is grounded in a biopsychosocial model of healing, driven by the active participation of the client.
The primary focus of the therapy is to rebalance the nervous system, which has become out of balance due to stress, trauma, and poor lifestyle choices. Learning how to retrain the brain to change pain responses in the body is foundational to all one-on-one work.
In the yogic texts this is referred to as the “kleshas” which literally means, the afflictions that distort clear thinking, clear acting and clear feeling, leading us astray from realizing our highest potential, that place of ease, happiness and joy.
Private Clinical sessions can include:
- Pure, gentle movements - appropriate to your current movement range, health condition and functional mobility.
- Hands-on assisted somatic movements (known as pandiculations) - to retrain your nervous system and muscles, allowing you to regain conscious control over muscles and movements that have been limited by stress, trauma and dies-ease.
- Pain and Nervous System Education - Research shows that the more that we understand about pain and know about how the nervous system works, the more that we can change our pain cycles and calm an over sensitized nervous system. We will discuss the latest in pain science and understand that pain resides in the brain.
- Functional movement re-education - to get the right muscles working to support your day-to-day activities, recreational pursuits and disease recovery.
- Mind study – learning about the four aspects of the mind; exploring mindfulness practices to bring awareness to ways that your mind affects your body and overall health. This could include gratitude journaling and reflection, pain monitoring, daily contemplation practices such as bringing awareness to something simple such as your intention upon falling asleep. This could also be a study of the yoga’s ethical principles and a reflection of how we value ourselves and our own self-care and its importance to reaching our health goals.
- Body Awareness practices – these could include how one stands on their feet, assessing a workstation, sleeping positions, bedtime routines, eating regimes and lifestyle habits relative to age, seasons and time of life. What tendencies bring you more into discomfort? Where is there room to adopt new habits and patterns that support ease and balance?
- Breathing techniques - to increase mood and energy or to calm anxious energy, to promote falling asleep, restful sleep or to alleviate chronic muscular tension to support pre-post surgery, chronic pain and lifestyle stress.
- Abhyanga - exploring outine and Ayurvedic daily self- care practices fostering health - Conscious diet, right exercise, sleeping well, breathing & stress management, cleansing and elimination, and self-awareness/self-reflection.
- Mantra – sounding and vocalization techniques that use vibration and energy to prevent panic attacks, increase mood, align the chakras and tissues of the body.
- Mudras – hand gestures that have the effect of directing energy into areas of the body. Mudras start electromagnetic currents within the body, which balance various constituting elements and restore health. The joining of fingers creates an effect on the human body.
2. Group classes, Workshops & Retreats
Groups classes are currently held at Breath of Life Wellness, 2237 2nd Ave, Whitehorse, Yukon.
Workshop locations vary. Some are held at a beautiful private location within 5 minutes of Takhini Hot Springs with nature out the doorstep and include nourishing meals and outdoor excursions.
Classes vary based on season, so check back often or sign-up for regular updates via the newsletter.
- Tight Hips, Low Back Pain
- Myth of Aging, Somatic Movement Series
- Trauma Sensitive SomaYoga Therapy
- Somayoga for Stroke Recovery
- Therapeutic Techniques for Core and Pelvic Stability
- Learn How to Breath properly to reduce pain
- Yoga for Stress Relief and Pain Reduction
- Rediscovering the Importance of Breath for Health
- Somayoga Therapy for Runner’s Workshop
- What’s Up Down There – Pelvic Floor Health Workshop
- Yamas and Niyamas, Mindfulness Study - a 6 month self-reflection and group supported study of the Yamas and Niymas – The ethical principles of Yoga which when studied help us learn about our relationship with ourselves and others. The five yamas are self-regulating behaviors involving our interactions with the outside world and others around us. The five niyamas govern the personal practices that relate to our inner world. This study is forever rewarding and a lifelong journey tha informs and enriches our lives and is a key component of the healing journey.
3. Change Your Pain 6-Week Kickstart Program - Change your Pain in 2019!
Join Nicole and I for a personalized coaching program incorporating pain education, mindfulness study, yamas and niyamas, self-care and ayurvedic practices, breath work and somatic movement practices to restore balance, wellness and ease. Learn more here.
Online sessions are a great option if you are looking for personalized guidance and if time and distance are a challenge for you. Click here to learn more.
Invest in your health and healing and immediately feel better in your body, sleep better and reduce pain. This course is perfect for anyone experiencing stress, fatigue, pain and looking for easy and effective tools to restore balance in life. This is a comprehensive 6 Chapter, 50 Lesson course. Learn at your own speed in the comfort of your own home. Sign up now.
6. Self-Care Ayurvedic Workshops
A fun and experiential workshop at a private location, just 5 minutes from Takhini Hot Springs. Learn about the 6 Pillars of Yogic Living and Daily Ayurvedic Practices - learn how to stay balanced with 6 key wellness practices, movement exploration, self- care practices and a yummy, nourishing Ayurvedic meal. Learn how a daily self-care practice can deeply nourish you, improving your overall health and well-being.
Stay tuned for the next offering or contact me and get added to the waiting list.